Building Bridges Across the River Job Description
Job Title: CSA Farm Market Champion
Department: THEARC Farm
Reports to: Farm Director
Building Bridges Across the River, THEARC Farms is a network of urban gardens and farms consisting of the 11th Street Bridge Park Plots and THEARC Farm, manages the C.R.I.S.P. (Community Raised Inspired & Sourced Produce) CSA and Farmers Market. We offer affordable produce at THEARC in Southeast DC on Saturdays from June through November. We are seeking a community resident to serve as Farmer’s Market Champion and help with planting, weeding, harvesting, cleaning and distributing our vegetables and fruit to CSA and market customers.
Weekly schedule (approximately 20 hours):
Tuesdays 8:00 am – 1:00 pm – Work at THEARC Farm, such as planting and weeding (day and times are flexible)
Fridays 8:00 am – 4:30 pm – Harvest and wash
Saturdays: 8:30 am – 3:00 pm – Market Set-up, Sales, CSA distribution, and Breakdown
• Market morning set up including putting up tents and signage, staging produce, setting out chairs and tables
• Managing Farmer’s Register and handling cash box when needed
• Signing in C.R.I.S.P. CSA members and assisting with share selection
• Re-stocking farmer’s market table with produce from farm refrigerator
• Market break-down at the end of each Saturday
• Picking, sorting, weighing, bunching, and washing vegetables
• Some weeding, planting, mulching, and other garden tasks
• Directing volunteers when they help with your responsibilities
Candidate MUST be comfortable with the following:
• Intermittent standing and walking over 6 hours
• Squatting and kneeling frequently during harvest
• Keeping a fast pace at market
• Lifting produce boxes weighing up to 50 pounds
• Working in a collaborative environment; excellent team player
• Taking directions, problem-solving, and attention to detail
• Reliably getting to work on time
We give preference to candidates with the following work experiences:
• Friendly customer service
• Money handling/cashier duties, and using technology such as iPad and Square
• Gardening or farming
This is a 15 to 20-hour per week contract position with a pay of $20/hr. The position starts May 2nd and runs until November 12th, 2022.
Please click here to submit your application and attach your resume. Ward 8 residents and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Prospective applicants are encouraged to review our website at www.bbardc.org prior to submitting materials for consideration.