Building Bridges Across the River Job Description
Job Title: Building Engineer
Status: Regular, full-time (with benefits)
Reports to: Facilities Director
Building Bridges Across the River (BBAR) provides residents East of the Anacostia River access to the best-in-class facilities, programs, and partnerships in arts and culture, economic opportunity, education, recreation, health, and well-being. Building Bridges Across the River (BBAR) envisions a future in which the residents East of the Anacostia River experience vital, thriving communities characterized by social, cultural, economic, and racial equity. In order to combat past and current structural inequities, BBAR develops and manages facilities and programs in Wards 7 and 8 including the Town Hall Education Arts Recreation Campus (THEARC), THEARC Farm, THEARC Theater, 11th Street Bridge Park, and Skyland Workforce Center. BBAR’s first facility was THEARC, which at 203,000 square feet represents the largest social service, multisector, nonprofit collaboration in the country.
Building Engineer will assist in the maintenance and repair of facilities and equipment by performing a variety of skilled and semi-skilled electrical, plumbing, HVAC, carpentry, flooring, painting, and mechanical repair work.
The position will have the responsibilities and duties listed below and will report to, and work directly with, the Facilities Director.
- Assist in the installation, inspection, adjustment, preventive maintenance, and repair of HVAC equipment, including boilers, water pumps, chillers, air conditioning units, exhaust fans, air filters, compressors, and cooling towers.
- Repair and replace plumbing fixtures including sinks, toilets, faucets, and pipes (copper, PVC, black, etc.)
- Perform carpentry work including the construction, installation, remodeling, and repair of cabinets, partitions, walls, windows, doors, roofs, foundations, and other carpentry work, as directed.
- Assist the Facilities Director with inspection of the facilities to identify building maintenance needs and safety issues.
- Understand and operate a variety of mechanical tools and equipment, such as power saws, power sanders, drills, air compressors, sewer augers, and various hand tools required for carpentry, plumbing, and maintenance work.
- Perform snow removal duties as needed
- Read, interpret, and understand sketches, diagrams, and blueprints.
- Assist in the repair and maintenance of electrical lighting systems and fixtures.
- Assist in the performance of preventive maintenance activities, and the maintenance of related records and logs.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities, as required.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in building/property maintenance or related engineering field – experience with commercial properties preferred
- Certification (Journeyman) in mechanical, plumbing, carpentry, electrical, HVAC, and structural systems
- Well organized with attention to detail
- Experience with maintenance work order software preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to professionally communicate with diverse populations; polished customer service skills. Ability to tackle multiple tasks simultaneously, without losing focus or attention on any task; not afraid to ask for help when needed.
- Self-motivated, with “ownership thinking” perspective applied to decision making.
- Proficient use of computers.
- Absolute discreteness in receiving and handling sensitive information.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as part of a rotating emergency contact schedule
- Valid driver’s license.
This is a full-time position with a starting salary of $90,000-$100,000. Benefits include PTO, Holiday Pay, Medical, Dental, Vision, and ability to participate in the 401(K) Retirement Plan. BBAR is an equal opportunity employer.