Job Title: Accountant
Department: Accounting and Finance
Status: Regular, part-time (with PTO benefits)
Reports to: Director of Finance
Building Bridges Across the River (Building Bridges) provides residents East of the Anacostia River access to the best-in-class facilities, programs and partnerships in arts and culture, economic opportunity, education, recreation, health and well-being. Building Bridges Across the River (Building Bridges) envisions a future in which the residents East of the Anacostia River experience vital, thriving communities characterized by social, cultural, economic and racial equity. In order to combat past and current structural inequities, Building Bridges develops and manages facilities and programs in Wards 7 and 8 including the Town Hall Education Arts Recreation Campus (THEARC), THEARC Farm, THEARC Theater, 11th Street Bridge Park, and Skyland Workforce Center. BBAR’s first facility was THEARC, which at 203,000 square feet represents the largest social service, multisector, nonprofit collaboration in the country.
The Accountant is responsible for supporting the Accounting & Finance department in a growing organization to provide critical operational and administrative support to all Building Bridges’ programs. This position is a critical member of a small Finance team and directly contributes to establishing a best in class Accounting department. The Accountant reports to the Director of Finance but will also take direction and work closely with the Building Bridges Controller .
- Responsible for accurate and timely accounts payable invoice entry into financial accounting system for weekly check run
- Charged with recordation of revenue from online line systems, check remittances and wire transfers
- Generate of accounts receivable invoices as required
- Aid Controller in producing recurring and adjusting journal entries as part of the Building Bridges’ monthly close process
- Assist with routine balance sheet reconciliations during monthly close
- Support Finance and Accounting team around grant proposal/reporting requirements
- Assist as needed with external financial audit preparation and during audit fieldwork
- Ability to act as an additional resource and back up for Building Bridges’ Operations duties when needed
- Cross train to support Controller in bi weekly payroll process
- Cross train with HR Generalist to support shared HR/Finance functions such as employee health benefit renewal, 401k administration and employee data management in hosted third party payroll and HRIS system
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Passionate about the mission of Building Bridges and serving under-resourced communities.
- S. degree in Accounting preferred; Bachelor’s degree and 4+ years of relevant work experience in Finance and Accounting required;
- Strong Microsoft excel skills and proficient in the use of other Microsoft Office Suites applications
- Self-starter with strong project management skills who likes to take initiative on new projects and processes.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to understand and communicate with Building Bridges diverse group of stakeholders.
- Solid problem solving and critical thinking skills. Ability to investigate an issue, ask thoughtful questions and recommend possible solutions. Able to build a logical approach to addressing problems by drawing on own knowledge and experience or by seeking other references or resources as appropriate.
- Able to set short-and long-term planning goals in line with assigned tasks and available resources. A task-oriented style, with a focus on the accurate and timely completion of all assignments . Demonstrated ability to meet multiple deadlines by maintaining a high level of organization while delivering a high-quality work product. Able to develop and move projects forward with independence and autonomy and maintain attention to detail and thoroughness in completing assigned duties.
- Intellectually curious, creative and strategic thinker. Able to think out of the box, challenge conventional norms, and try new approaches.
- A positive team player with a high level of energy, enthusiasm, and dedication to Building Bridges’ mission and objectives. A commitment to working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, collaborative environment with shared goals and appropriate communication and collaboration with colleagues.
- Sound judgment and integrity with discretion in handling and securing confidential information, as well as the ability to conduct oneself in a highly professional manner.
Salary & Benefits:
This is a part-time position with a starting salary of $25/hr and opportunities for advancement. Benefits include PTO and ability to participate in the 401(K) Retirement Plan. BBAR is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply click on this link Building Bridges Application
Or send resume with a cover letter to Employment@thearcdc.org